Saturday, April 17, 2010

Visualizations & Affirmations

Russian water pioneer Igor Charkovsky suggests this daily meditation: Picture the baby developing inside your body bathed in a golden, protective, celestial light. During labor, visualize your body opening easily and smoothly, like the petals of a flower.

For those of you who remember, I was putting together a list of positive affirmations for labor to put on a poster (and/or handout) to show in my classes. Below is my completed work....thanks to Nancy, Debbie and Elena for their contributions, some have been combined with others and some edited to suit my purposes.

I hope it is something that may inspire you and/or your classes as well.

My body was made to do this, so I can
Each contraction brings my baby one step closer to being in my arms
I am drawing energy from all the women before me to birth my baby
Childbirth is a normal, healthy event
My baby and I are working harmoniously together
My baby and I are grateful for this powerful experience
I am able to make the best possible choices for a healthy, joyful birth
My labor pain is only a small portion of my life, I can do this for my beautiful baby
The power of birth will strengthen me, my baby and my partner
I trust my body to labor smoothly and efficient
Pleasure is opening up to my baby


I CAN DO IT
by Patricia Blomme

Today is the day I have been waiting so patiently for. Within me I can feel the stirrings I have wondered about since the first realization of what was to come. They come from deep within me. I feel joy! Today my body will fulfill the purpose for which it has been made. Today I will show my strength, my courage, my love for my child. I can feel the strength in my body, a wonderful strength that is meant for just this purpose.

I can feel my body opening up. Opening up like the petals of a spring tulip on a cool morning. My body is beginning a labor of love. I accept all that comes to pass with the birth of my child. I know that it will require much from me, much that through love I am willing to give.

My body is strong. My body has hundreds of thousands of years of history in it that will allow me to birth my child with joy and ease. I will not feel pain.

I will feel the widening of my child's birth passage. I will surrender to the opening of my body. My body knows what to do, I must let it be. I will not let my mind interfere. My mind stays steadily focused on the wonderful expression of love that I am feeling as I birth my child. My long awaited child I will give my body all the time it needs to work. I will not track time other than to gaze at the sun or the stars.

I know I must give in to the emotions of birth. I must remain open. As the waves come I will triumph over them, one by one, all the while surrendering to them. I am surrounded by love and trust, and that is what protects me. Today my body is opening and releasing my child to me. Today is the day that I will cherish forever.



Woman:
I am a strong and capable woman.
I am creating a totally positive and new birth experience.
My pelvis is releasing and opening (as have those of countless women before me).
I am accepting my labor and believe that it is the right labor for me, and for my baby.
I now feel the love that others have for me during the birth.
I am treating my mate lovingly during the birth.
I have a "success consciousness."
I have a beautiful body. My body is my friend.
I now see my last birth as a learning experience, from which I am growing and changing.
I embrace the concept of healthy pain.
I am welcoming my contractions.
I have enough love to go around.
There is always enough love for me.
I am strong, confident, assured, and assertive and still feminine
I am helping my baby feel safe so that she can be born.

Man:
I am taking care of myself during this pregnancy.
I see my wife as a strong and capable woman, and this does not threaten me.
I am supporting her during her labor, even when she is in pain.
I am expressing my love to my wife easily and frequently.
I am accepting the labor that is meant for us.
I am accepting feelings of helplessness.
I am sensitive, tender, open, and trusting.
I am feeling the love that others have for me when I need support.


Source : http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/hypnosis.html